Tuesday, May 30, 2006

 

Lost Girls

I found this via Kieron's Blog here, and while most of it is a rambling homily on the link between sex and war, a little bit at the end stood out.
"It's the gulf that exists in any time, some more true than others. There seems to be an awful and unquestioned wave of repression, and a tokenism, in the best sense of the word. I was reading something written by the Vatican astronomer -- it's been a long time since I found myself agreeing with anything said by the Catholic Church -- and he was talking about how it's important that Religion should embrace Science, because Science is the only thing that keeps Religion from falsehood, and gives it a clear grasp of reality as opposed to Creationism, which is a kind of paganism. I was impressed by that, because it echoed something I said myself a few days before. 'Paganism' is a pegorative term that means 'rural.' 'Oh, those are country gods. Those are the kind of gods who are worshipped by people who screw their livestock and marry their sisters.' It was a way of dismissing anything that was rural. Gods from the sticks. Actually, fundamental Christianity, at least as I understand its American manifestation, which is its major manifestation, the Bible Belt and the Farm Belt, these are not two separate belts we're talking about, are we? So, fundamental Christianity, paganism, and a particularly dangerous form of paganism, seems to be going unquestioned because of its fire and vehemence. Nobody wants to get on the wrong side of a big, angry, unreasonable beast. But the thing with big, angry unreasonable beasts like National Socialism in Germany in the Thirties, you kind of have to get on the wrong side of them eventually, because they'll just eat everything. It is important to occasionally wave a red flag in front of them and see what they do. They might trample you, they might devour you, but it's the only way that you can ever keep them in line."
Technorati Tag:,
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?